|You don't have to be laying in a hammock |
on the beach to find true relaxation.
That is the state of being relaxed. Being utterly relaxed.
The older I get and more responsibility I take on (work, teaching yoga, wedding planning...) the more I truly value how important it is that I learn how to relax myself. And I don't mean laying on the couch after a long day watching TV relaxed. I mean post-massage, soak in the tub, long beach vacation relaxed. You know that feeling?
To me being truly relaxed feels like I am able to exist in this world without effort. No strings attached. I can just be.
1. being free of or relieved from tension or anxiety
2. not strict; easy; informal
It wasn't until I had been practicing yoga for a long time and started to leave every class with that blissed-out feeling, that I realized what true relaxation feels like. And that most of the time I was not operating from this place of ease.
I am not a relaxed person by nature. I am anxious. A worrier. I worry about most things. I've had to learn, over time, and lots of stressed-out days, that I need to consciously allow myself to relax. To let go. That even if I don't turn every little thing over in my head a million times that things will be okay. And even if I don't do everything in my life perfectly that things will be okay.
I've had to learn how to relax. I've been mindful over the years of what activities, for me, lead to a state of relaxation. Here are my favorite ways to relax:
- Attend a restorative yoga class (or any yoga class)
- Soak in the tub, candles lit, incense burning, eyes shut
- Sit on my stoop with my fiancé Doug, sunshine on my face and a cold beverage in hand.
- Hike or do yoga in the woods on a sunny day
- Yoga nidra
- Dance to live music (reggae or bluegrass usually; kirtan too)
- Work with my hands, especially in the dirt
- Ride my bike on an open country road
What relaxes you? How can you bring more relaxation into your life?
If you enjoyed this post, sign up below for more relaxation resources via my free yoga for relaxation e-starter kit!